Phone Number: 563-242-2144, option 3 - Public Works, then option 3 - Street Dept. and Solid Waste Collections Phone answered between 8:00 am - 3:00 PM
Hours of Operation: 7:00 am - 3:30 PM.
Note: All requests for new carts, cart replacements or repairs, or cancellation of collection services must now be made through the City's Finance Department -- 563-242-7545.
Upcoming Holiday Collection Delays:
Memorial Day- Monday, May 31st:
Monday, May 31st- NO garbage/yard waste/recycling collections. Collections will be delayed by one day for the rest of the week.
Monday's Routes- Will be collected on Tuesday, June 1st.
Tuesday's Routes- Will be collected on Wednesday, June 2nd.
Wednesday's Routes- Will be collected on Thursday, June 3rd.
Thursday's Routes- Will be collected on Friday, June 4th.
Friday's Routes- Will be collected on Saturday, June 5th.
Fourth of July- Sunday, July 4th
Monday, July 5th- NO garbage/yard waste/recycling collections. Collections will be delayed by one day for the rest of the week.
Monday's Routes- Will be collected on Tuesday, July 6th.
Tuesday's Routes- Will be collected on Wednesday, July 7th.
Wednesday's Routes- Will be collected on Thursday, July 8th.
Thursday's Routes- Will be collected on Friday, July 9th.
Friday's Routes- Will be collected on Saturday, July 10th.
Automated Collection Program Information
The City's schedule for it's collection carts are as follows:
Yard Waste - weekly from the first week in April until the last week of November*
*Dates are subject to change
To see what your collection day and recycle week assignment is according to your address, click on the Collection Route Map tab in the left-hand column on this page.
Cart and Collection Information
- All City of Clinton collection carts are the property of the City.
- Collection carts are assigned to an address, not an individual (family). When ownership of a residence changes, each cart must stay at the address it is assigned to. Residents may cancel services at any time and all appropriate carts will be removed.
- Each resident is responsible for the proper care and security of the collection carts. The resident will be charged for replacing a cart should it become damaged or stolen as the result of improper care and/or not keeping the cart secured on the property.
Blue – Recycling Gray – Garbage Green – Yard Waste
Containers with mixed material will not be collected.
- All carts must be out by 7:00 am the day of collection.
- Garbage should be bagged in the gray cart.
- Recycling should be placed loose in the blue cart (no bags).
- Yard waste should be placed loose in the green cart (no bags).
- Carts will not be emptied if there is improper or incorrect material in the cart (such as garbage in a yard waste or recycling cart).
- Hot ashes should never be placed in the carts.
- Construction debris is not allowed in any of the carts.
- Toxic or hazardous waste is not allowed in any of the carts. This includes: electronics, pesticides, paint cans with paint, motor oils, sharps containers, flammable material, etc. (Contact the Clinton County Landfill at 563-243-4749 for any questions about acceptable material.)
- The maximum weight limit of the 95-gallon carts is 150 lbs. To avoid exceeding the weight limitation of the cart, or causing possible damage to the cart or collection vehicle, do not place rocks, concrete, bricks or dirt inside carts. Any items placed within the cart must fall out easily when the cart is being serviced. Please do not overfill or tightly pack items into the cart.
- Lids must be closed.
- Carts must be located in an area that is easily accessible for the automated trucks. Collection drivers will not leave their vehicles in order to move a cart.
- Give adequate space between carts for collection by the automated trucks – Three (3) feet apart is optimal.
- Carts must be placed for collection away from homes, garages, fences, parked vehicles, utility poles, mailboxes, etc. Five (5) feet is the preferred distance to ensure that any property or possessions are not damaged.
- Carts should not be placed higher than 1 foot above the surface that the collection truck is on.
- Carts should not be left at their collection spots past the collection day. Carts should be removed from the street or alley right-of-way and placed in a designated storage area on the resident’s property. (This will prevent a possible road hazard, damage to the cart, or theft of the cart.
Yard Waste Collection Start and End Times
The Solid Waste Department has set the following start and end times for yard waste collections for each upcoming calendar year as:
Start: April 12, 2021
End: Last week of November*
or with the first significant snowfall or prolonged temperatures below freezing
*As always, these dates are subject to the weather.
The rationale for choosing these dates is that when the temperatures fall below freezing, the moisture in and around the material in the yard carts freezes everything together. This prevents anything from coming out of the cart when we attempt to empty it, and in turn, causes the cart to split or become damaged in some other way. We do not start back up yard collections until April because at our current staffing levels, we are not able to adequately transition from our winter duties to our spring/summer duties until then.
We have heard from many of you wondering why we stop our yard waste collections so early compared to several of the surrounding communities. The reason for this is because those communities do not use carts for their yard waste. They use bags that are hand loaded onto their trucks. They do not run the risk of damaging carts because of the waste material freezing inside the container.