Applications are currently being accepted for firefighter. Completed applications are due to the City Clerk's office, 611 South 3rd Street, Clinton, Iowa by 4:30 P.M. on September 11, 2020.
You can find our application here.
- Written Examination
- Physical Agility Test
- Civil Service Oral Interview
- Establishment of a Civil Service list of approved, qualified individuals
- Oral interview with candidates
- Upon offer of employment a medical physical evaluation per Iowa Code section 400.8 and the MUNICIPAL FIRE AND POLICE RETIREMENT SYSTEM OF IOWA’s medical protocols
- Upon successful completion of the medical physical evaluation the candidate begins as a new recruit in a 4-6 week training program. Under the direct supervision of the Training Division the candidate will train Monday—Friday (0700—1600 hours) and Saturday (0700—1200 hours).
- With completion of the recruit phase the candidate will complete a probationary period of 12 months. During this time the individual will work a 24-hour shift schedule. The Clinton Fire Department monitors and evaluates every new employee’s performance for one year to determine whether further employment in a specific position or with the Clinton Fire Department is appropriate. Upon successful completion of the probationary period the individual will receive a permanent appointment as firefighter.